It may only be February, but spring is just around the corner.
And yes, we appreciate the fact that the idea of cleaning out your closet probably doesn’t fall on your top 10 list of things you want to do this month—but does come with a small pile of benefits—which is why we here at Rocky Mountain Clothing have put together a top 5 list of reasons you should clean (and purge) your closet.
- Added space Does your closet feel like it’s about to burst at the seams? We’re guessing there are more than a few clothing items lingering on the hangers (and shelves) that are old, unused and outdated. And do you really need all those extra hangers? Spring is coming, which, for many people, means a trip to your favorite clothing store. This is a prime reason you should clean out the clutter and make some room for some new shirts, shoes and accessories.
- Circling back to “old and outdated” The rule of thumb is that if you haven’t worn it in a year, you should purge it. If it doesn’t fit (and you don’t anticipate it’s going to fit anytime soon), you should purge it. If you haven’t worn it since college—purge it. If it doesn’t belong to you (or your spouse, or significant other) and you have no idea how or when you acquired it… it’s probably safe to purge it.
- Some things no longer fit your style Did you outgrow your scarf phase? Have you decided you’d rather trade in that big pile of graphic t-shirts (that you loved oh, oh so much) for a more sophisticated look? It’s natural for people to outgrow certain styles, but if you’re clinging onto a bunch of stuff you have no intention of wearing again, you’re doing a disservice to your closet space.
- Everyone loves extra cash Depending on what you’re looking to get rid of, you may be able to sell it. If you don’t feel like hauling everything down to Buffalo Exchange, there are websites, (aka www. crossroadstrading.com) that allow you to sell your stuff online. And (added bonus) you can use the money you get to go out and buy some new, updated apparel. It’s a win-win!
- Someone else can put it to good use If you have stack of sweaters that are functioning less as sweaters and more as dust collectors, we’re guessing that there is someone, somewhere who could use them. Denver has a number of charitable organizations and some will even come to your home to pick up your donation.
Cleaning out your closet has a long, long list of benefits. Not only will it help you de-clutter and free up space, it means that you’ll have plenty of room to stock up on apparel and promotional items from Rocky Mountain Apparel.